Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Technology Tools Are Growing Up!

Over the years, I have watched as technology equipment, software, and even the Internet have become critical parts of the learning environment.  I still get excited when I find products that make life easier!

Tonight, as I was catching up on email prior to returning to school after Spring Break, I read through quite a few emails but the two containing the information below sparked my interest.

First, was an article at http://www.fastcompany.com/1823819/khan-academy-ipad about an iPad app for Khan Academy.  Skeptical, I downloaded the app myself.  For teachers integrating the "flipped classroom"  or for students just looking for help with a particular concept, Khan Academy has proven to be a worthwhile resource.  With the app, accessing the content is even easier than from a regular browser.  The best part is that if you have a WiFi iPad you can download the video, then access it when the Internet is not available.  Check it out.

Second, I took time to read an email I had received to see how Microsoft web apps compare to Google Docs.  Let me set the stage....Mountain Brooks Schools use Microsoft products on all school owned computers and laptops and all staff have Microsoft Exchange email accounts and access to web mail.  Students have access to Google Apps for Education.  Staff also have access to Google Apps for Education as well so that they can collaborate with their students. We are blessed with application software.  However, I do enjoy the formating and comfort of Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.  When I accessed https://login.live.com/ to login, I used my existing Microsoft email address wild@mtnbrook.k12.al.us when signing up for my Windows Live ID.  To be secure, I did change the password from my "normal" email password.  I was able to share folders, create Word documents, etc. with ease.    I then downloaded the Windows Mesh to sync a folder on my laptop with my SkyDrive.  The SkyDrive offers 25 GB of free storage!  Last I downloaded the mobile app (SkyDrive) for my iPad and was able to access the documents in my SkyDrive.    I haven't setup the Hotmail account or calendar to sync with my Outlook calendar or email because with webmail, those features are not important to me although they are certainly available.  For those of you who have wanted to have the collaboration capabilities of Google Docs while using the familar Word, the SkyDrive is your ticket!


No comments:

Post a Comment